Course Objectives(What will you learn)
- Introduction to AR and VR : Understand the technology and the idea behind Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality at a rudimentary level.
- Preparing to prototype for AR and VR: working with CAD tools for generating 3D models (objects, characters ,terrain) for exporting to an AR/VR environment.
- Tools and Prototyping for AR and VR: Working with Unity 3D, and VR headset for smartphones.
- Working on a project: Identify a potential scenario for an AR/VR intervention; and use creative techniques for ideation and design in AR/VR Environments.
- Project Prototyping & Documentation: Prototype with the tools demonstrated; test your solutions with peers / users, and document your solution towards creating a pitch.
Out station students / candidates have to make their arrangements for accommodation and boarding
Course Outline and schedule
Day-01 Introduction to AR and VR
Session 1 : A brief history about AR and VR
Session 2 : Basics of the technology and workings of AR and VR
Session 3 : Introduction to the tools (open source) and softwares to design for AR/VR
Session 4 :Exercises and hands on with the free applications for AR/VR
Day-02 Introduction to prototyping for AR and VR
Session 1 : Review of Day 1: Explorations with the free applications for AR/VR
Session 2 : Using CAD tools for generating 3D models: objects, characters ,terrain
Session 3 : Using online repositories of 3D models for your projects
Session 4 :Building your custom 3D models and space. A Brief introduction to Unity 3D.
Day-03 Tools and Prototyping for AR and VR
Session 1 : Review of Day 2: Building your custom 3D models and space.
Session 2 : Prototyping for VR: using VR headset for smartphones and modelling in Unity 3D
Session 3 : Prototyping for AR : using Unity 3D and Vuforia.
Session 4 :Exercises: to explore the Unity 3D environment and test one’s skills in Unity 3D
Day-04 Working on a project
Session 1 : Review of Day 3: to explore the Unity 3D environment
Session 2 : Identifying potential problems to intervene upon/ creating new opportunities ( for existing processes/systems) with the use of AR /VR
Session 3 : Creative ideation techniques for coming up with solution to the problems
Session 4 : Representing and refining the potential ideas in a graphical format (screens / storyboards etc.)
Day-05 Project Prototyping & Documentation
Session 1 : Review of Day 4:Representing of the potential ideas for the problem / design brief
Session 2 : Modelling in Unity platform to prototype your solution
Session 3 : Testing your AR/VR solution and documenting the design process taken.
Session 4 :Presenting your final solution and Review session.